Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Scope damaged

An accident has led to the main tube on my scope being buckled. It seems beyond my skills to repair, and I cannot find a replacement tube. In fact, replacement tubes seem to be like hen's teeth for name-brand scopes, and this is not in that category. I had many fine nights of observing with this old thing, but it's day finally arrived.

Given that my field of work has been massively affected by changes in the economy the last few years, a replacement is not in the cards. So, for now, Game Over.I'll be trying repairs, but don't have a lot of hope.

Update-the essentials of repairing the tube have been carried out...I have some doubts, as it does not want to collimate. I'll keep fooling with it. But thank goodness for tuba repair tools...The ultimate answer will be whether it can see stars as round or oval; too many clouds tonight to test it.  

 Additional update-all damage was repairable.

No comments:

Post a Comment