Thursday, March 17, 2011

M101; the last shot for now



Well, this is a stack of over 110 minutes of exposure...what is happening is that the ambient noise level is so high that no meaningful gain is found over a stack of 20 minutes. Right below the target are my neighbor's halogen yard lights, which they leave on all night (bright enough for me to read by, even with a fence, hill, and trees between us.) Without a dark sky or a light pollution filter, this is the limit of my skill and my scope. It's better than the previous stacks in this post, but not by a lot. I chose to give up some amount of starry glow in the arms to reduce the visual impact of the noise and darken the background a touch; there is more to be seen in the original, but it's awash is a sea of reddish pixellated goo.

A pollution filter is on the wish list, but finding a dark site will be much easier, not to mention cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment