Friday, June 6, 2014

Humboldt Lilies at last


After watching these guys for weeks (and finding over 100 plants in upper Sycamore Canyon) I finally have some blooms to show. Some have already peaked and are drying out, and many of the plants are browning back before flowering, but a few are spectacular. The first two pictures are from the very first plant Robin found that started this whole obsession.




There was a pair of extremely agitated woodpeckers in this live oak, but only after getting my pictures home did I see the large gopher snake in their tree, likely looking for tasty eggs. I have much better shots of the birds, but not with the snake in view.




These LBBBs have taken over a swallow's nest. Any help identifying them? It looks like the swallows left because of structural problems...I hope the nest lasts long enough for the chicks to fledge. Outside the restroom at the Rancho Sierra Vista parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment