Saturday, May 17, 2014

Snake Trail

This morning I did my usual Snake Trail loop in Rancho Sierra Vista and Point Mugu State Park. I've been watching a hundred or so Humboldt Lilies, which are unusual-Upper Sycamore Canyon is lower than their usual range, and I've never seen them here before.

A week ago I saw the first flowers developing on plants with more sun, but none are open yet. In fact, those plants are already becoming dessicated and wilting-I'm not sure these flowers will open before drying out. Some plants in shadier and moister areas are starting to bud, so I'll cross my fingers.

Here's a Parry's Phacelia (Phacelia Parryi, which makes this Latin stuff look pretty obvious, eh?), which is all over the canyon. Less than an inch accross, but very pretty.












Last week the SMMNRA Facebook page featured a Red Velvet Ant, which is really a wasp. They were all over Danielson Fireroad this morning.










Best sighting of the day, though, was this guy, who darted across the trail in front of me, too quickly for me to really get a good picture. Maybe three and a half feet long. I haven't seen a rattler in ages; it's nice to know they're still finding enough to eat in the burn area.

No comments:

Post a Comment